POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Modified Povray code implementing sub-surface scattering : Re: Modified Povray code implementing sub-surface scattering Server Time
15 May 2024 06:08:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modified Povray code implementing sub-surface scattering
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 20 Jul 2005 12:10:01
Message: <dblsu5$c3u$1@chho.imagico.de>
Antonio Ferrari wrote:
> I've read a web page: "A Practical Model for Subsurface Light Transport" by
> Wann Jensen, Marshner, Levoy, Hanrahan. The page can be found at the
> following place:
> http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~sarah/a_practical_model_for_subsurface.html
>
> The article seems talking about single scattering and diffuse scattering and
> there is also some example code.
>
> At the end of the article is written "We have modified the open source ray
> tracer POV-Ray. The only files that we modified inside it are lighting and
> render. The rest can be downloaded from POV-Ray's site.".

That page says they developend a patch for this technique but does not
provide that patch.  What's even more strange is that it's on the
website of a student (Sarah Tariq) but contains only the names you
mentioned (which are the authors of a Siggraph paper with the same name).

> Maybe it could be a way to implement sub-surface scattering in Povray...
> Maybe the proposed code could be merged to Povray code... Maybe we are far
> from BSSRDF...
>
> Do you have any details about this argument? Do you think sub-surface
> scattering would be a good improvement in Povray? I think so. Someone dont
> agree with me, but he could have his reasons...

This has been covered several times already but once again - POV-Ray
already has the means to simulate subsurface scattering effects through
its scattering media simulation.  This is not limited in accuracy
compared to techniques like described on that page, the main possible
disadvantage is that it can be quite slow.  Note however that the render
times given for the test renders there are quite slow as well.

Christoph

http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0013390/ (Last updated 01 Jul. 2005)